HubPages.com article. For my idiot-self, I liked that it had a specific shopping list, instructions and pictures. I figured I couldn't screw it up!
The first thing that struck me as odd with the list is that it's using 2" PVC. From the article and his (I assume a "he") pictures, he's holding a plastic sit-on-top kayak. It's not uncommon for these to be upwards of and over 60 lbs. For my intended use of holding a wooden-framed skin on frame kayak, it was definitely going to be overkill. I thought about going with 3/4" or 1" PVC and modifying the plans from there - but, for the sake of simplicity, I went with the instructions as written. I figured he'd already done the figuring on what size bolts and all that jazz. (Next time, I'm surely going to take the time to downsize it!)
A quick trip to Home Depot yielded all of the supplies that I needed. Being a complete newbie at all of this, I had to buy everything - including the PVC glue. My bill totaled around $40 for the pieces (including the glue). Again, next time - I'm going with smaller PVC which should bring the price down by quite a bit.
I measured the 10' pieces into 2.5' sections. I learned that it's NOT exactly 10' - there's maybe 1/2 to 1 cm extra. Oh well, we're not looking for exact in my projects. My first challenge was how to secure a round object to the workbench (well, strongback ACTING as a workbench) -- some men like duct tape; me, I'm a fan of clear packing tape. A couple of wraps of packing tape and the PVC wasn't going anywhere. My first cut was kind-of straight. The rest seemed to get worse and worse. It's was pretty appalling, to be honest. BUT- they'd be hidden by the 90-degree elbows.
I glued the first square together with the realization that I wasn't exactly sure how to ensure what I was making was exactly square. I got it pretty close, though it does not lay flat on the floor. I glued up the second square, linking it into the first as the instructions specified.
center-bolt that acts as the joint. I realized how not-straight my holes were drilled when I had to forego the washers in order to get the nut secured. And, then I realized how much worse the second set were when I couldn't get the bolt to make it through the 2nd-piece of PVC. I ended up taking the bolt out and drilling the interior holes out wider on each side to give the bolt enough play that it could be forced through and secured. It's "speshul", but it gets the job done.
bolt, washers and nuts on and it seems like it should hold quite nicely.
The other thing I decided to deviate from the instructions was I added a piece of rope to the bottom of the stand. Otherwise, the stand would open to the point that the webbing would not have any slack to it. Since my kayak is pretty light, I wanted to have a nice cradle for the boat to set down in.